Military forces are very important for every country. They are divided into three parts namely; army, navy and air force. They all have different functions. It is important to know the rankings and symbols of the forces whether you are interested in being part of a military or not.
The military is basically the armed forces. They are authorized to apply deadly force and weapons in order to protect the interests of the state and its citizens. They are to defend the citizens and the country in case of threat or declared war from another country. They also have other functions which include;
- Controlling the population within the country;
- Taking part in case of an emergency;
- Guarding critical areas;
- Promoting political agenda. etc
Sometimes the military may function as a subculture within a larger society. It means that the military has its infrastructure in a certain area. They may have:
- Different utilities;
- Food production;
- Health and medical services.
THE NIGERIAN NAVY
The Navy is the water-focused military force. It is designed for naval and sea-related warfare. Most of the Naval Headquarters of Nigeria are based in Abuja, Bayelsa, Calabar and Lagos. Apart from that, there are also naval bases and training facilities throughout Nigeria. The main responsibilities of the Navy are:
- Training missions at sea;
- Marine cleanups;
- Medical support;
- Regional security;
- Rescue operations at sea, etc.
THE NIGERIAN AIR FORCE
The Nigerian air force is one of the biggest in Africa. This is because there are a lot of active personnel at any time. Nigeria also has a lot of trainers, helicopters, fighters and military aircraft transport. Their responsibilities include:
- Rescue operations;
- Cargo transportation;
- Bombing runs;
- Airborne mapping;
- Air-support (mostly for on-land operations);
- Medical assistance;
- Target monitoring;
THE NIGERIAN ARMY
it is the largest component of the Nigerian Military Forces. Apart from being the largest, it is also one of the best equipped armed forces in Africa. Some of the obligations of the Nigerian Army are;
- Law enforcement;
- Base security;
- Humanitarian missions;
- Enemy targets engaging;
- Supplies and troops transportation
Salary structure of the Nigerian Army
The salary depends on the rank of the officer.
The salaries of non-commissioned officers are:
- Master Warrant Officer – N90,000;
- Warrant Officer – N80,000;
- Staff Sergeant – N68,000;
- Sergeant – N63,000;
- Corporal – N58,000;
- Lance Corporal earns about N54,000-55,000;
- Private Soldier earns about N48,000-49,000.
The salaries of commissioned officers are:
- General – N1.5 million;
- Lieutenant General – N1 million;
- Major General – N950,000;
- Brigadier General- N750,000;
- Colonel – N550,000;
- Lieutenant Colonel – N350,000;
- Major – N300,000;
- Captain – N220,000;
- Lieutenant – N180,000;
- Second Lieutenant – N120,000.
Now you know more about the Nigerian Military Forces.